Wear and Tear tips & other questions

Rainfly

Hey everyone! I've crept around the forums for a while now and I have finally decided to buy the SC armor kit including the helmet, it seems like the best quality for the price. I haven't actually ordered yet because I am still getting all that I want in one place first which leads me to my questions.

1. Do you know of any techniques to add the effect of armor wear? Similar to this: img_0635.jpg

2. Does anyone know of a voice modulator that works particularly well?

3. I am 6'2" and slender build (155lb) is there anything I should be particularly aware of in terms of armor kit choice?

4. Lastly, anyone that has purchased the SC kit before, did you run into any noob problems that I can avoid?

Thanks all!

Alex

The SC kit has a bit of a wide chest. You're a slim build like me so keep that in mind. I had to heat and bend the chest and back to suit my chest size a bit better. Other than that, awesome kit. You can see my build thread here, lots of things I learned along the way.

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=9781

My scout will only be slightly weathered, but you can use tips from my TD weathering vids. I use Liquitex acrylics.

Best amps by far are the Aker amps. The 1506 is small and fits nicely in a pouch. You can use the icomm for static burst. There's no need to modulate your voice imo.

http://www.voicebooster.com/products/costume-products.html

Good luck with your build!

Pandatrooper, Thank you for the amazing build thread, your work is definitely some to aspire to. I do not have a heat gun, nor have I ever worked with one. How do you know how far to warp the chest piece? Also, fantastic video tutorial, I am glad I asked about this!!

Donovan, thanks for the link! I think I might actually end up going with that.

When I start my own build should I start a thread to ask questions or is there a thread that has been made for that?

I'm also 6"2 and weigh in at 180lbs these days. My armor is KS, but I also have the SC kit for my Shadow Scout. SC makes some really nice armor and you will not be disappointed. The scout pic you posted is a member here, and a good guy. The armor is a bit too weathered for my taste but Pandatrooper has given you some really good advice. He's got some awesome techniques and skills...follow his lead. Also, good to have you on board with us! :)

You cn get a heat gun for less than ten bucks at harbor freight and tools ;)

This is a great heat gun. It works extremely well! becarful with it or you will ruin your armor. Keep at a fair distance, I'd sugget about 15" away, on low & continus motion. I burnt through a very thick plastic picnic table with mine. Can't remeber what I was heating up, but I still have the table as a reminder. Im sure this works with all heat guns.

• Like 1

Yeah, heat guns are tricky. I've made some boo boos with one myself. :D

For a very thin guy, you can try wearing a bulkier vest/undersuit, or even put just a bit of padding in the armor.

Remember when weathering 'less is more'. It is easy to over do it, and you can always add more later. Just always think of whick parts will get worn/scraped in real life. Knees will show more wear than the arm armor. Any outside edges will get scraped on the helmet and pack. Debris will collect in the cracks/crevices, but keep it minimal.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I am super psyched to start building this. I think I will wait on picking up the heatgun and really just see how everything works/fits out of the box and slowly start cleaning it up and tweaking. I am just about to order the riding suit.

Griffin-X, what size head do you have? =p I am a size 7 (22" head) and I have heard that SC's helmets are a bit snug.

bjsavage7, good idea. Ill probably try that before heating the armor, I dont want to screw it up the first time around!!

Ive used a hair dryer on a plastic strip and it takes much longer than a heat gun.be real careful with one if u decide to pick one up.my dad almost messed up my forearm pieces trying to use it

Ive used a hair dryer on a plastic strip and it takes much longer than a heat gun.be real careful with one if u decide to pick one up.my dad almost messed up my forearm pieces trying to use it

Yup. ABS goes hard-hard-hard-soft-SUPERSOFT! :-)

I have a Kashyyyk Trooper not a Scout but they are similar,

I'd suggest picking up a heat gun and a dremmel tool before starting... It's better to have everything you need and not need it, rather than need it and have to stop till you get it or work on another piece.

Just take it slow and you will end up with an awesome build ;) good luck

Guest hel0wrench

Me too. I am actually surprised there hasn't been a non-committal answer I've stumbled across yet. Those that know what they're talking about jump right out and speak their minds and those that aren't sure stay back to let more experience answer. It's so nice not having the usual trolls and negative vibes that you normally see on a forum.

501st flat out kicks ass.

And good luck on the armor Wire

Wow, thanks everyone for all the suggestions and advice. I am really growing to truly appreciate this community. Armor has been ordered!!