I started work on my SC biker scout helmet, and I wanted your thoughts on my progress so far. I know I need to still clean up the shape on the ears a bit more, and sand the area around where the visor would go.

IMG_0109_zpsf44fd7e4.jpg

IMG_0107_zpsffc1808a.jpg

IMG_0104_zps6cfad87a.jpg

IMG_0103_zpsbb29ba79.jpg

Do I need to fill in the circled areas on the last photo?

2bb7cc82-28fc-4e51-9415-c245c1a66ddf_zps8ab9581a.jpg

Looking good...

I would trim a bit more around the visor eyes (the top portion mostly). I'd also clean up the black trim around the snout. Once you clean up the ears, it'll look much better.

• 3 months later...

how does the helmet fit? im planning on getting one.

Brenden,

Right now it still has plenty of wiggle room inside for me without any padding in it, and the circumfrence of my head measured around my head atop my ears is 22.5 inches.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner; I didn't know you had replied, and I haven't been able to work on it until recently.

Looking good...

I would trim a bit more around the visor eyes (the top portion mostly). I'd also clean up the black trim around the snout. Once you clean up the ears, it'll look much better.

Hopefully this looks better. I ended up using the measurements fromt the screen used helmet in the gallery and my snout greeble to make a template out of card stock. Turns out that the snout greeble is 3mm wide and the painted area of the snout is 4mm wide.

1_zps9a6891f9.jpg

2_zps2fde4892.jpg

I tapped the visor in place to show the shape of the visors eyehole better.

4_zpsffde69fe.jpg

I retrimmed the ear holes and the eyehole using a xacto knife.

Picture1_zpsa8895cdc.jpg

Finally I filled in the gap in between the dome and the back with plumbing caulk.

5_zpsa7da2674.jpg

6_zps38a5cb7e.jpg

I'll need to sand the caulk down a bit once it drys (just finished smoothing it out), and then I'll probally need to repaint the whole helmet.

Guest hel0wrench

Looks good! I've been trying to figure out if filling in the gaps will make it look better and it does. Did you have to trim the "pivot point" on the mask and visor to fit on the back? Mine seems to be off some and I was thinking it should look like one solid piece instead of a front half and back half. I've never used plumbing caulk, does it set up hard or is it like a silicon that has some give to it? Final question, what did you use to glue the pieces together?

Looks good! I've been trying to figure out if filling in the gaps will make it look better and it does. Did you have to trim the "pivot point" on the mask and visor to fit on the back? Mine seems to be off some and I was thinking it should look like one solid piece instead of a front half and back half. I've never used plumbing caulk, does it set up hard or is it like a silicon that has some give to it? Final question, what did you use to glue the pieces together?

Before I answer your questions I just want to let you know this is my first armor build.

I have not trimmed the pivot point, but I do think it’s supposed to look like one piece.

Several people in the forum mentioned using plumbing caulk to fill in the gap, and it’s called an acrylic caulk with silicon. It sets up with some give to it, and it can be sanded and painted. If you get straight silicon caulk you won’t be able to paint it very well. Also it might not show up very well in the pictures; while the caulk is white, it is has a very slight yellow color to it. So I’m using a Rust-Oleum auto light grey primer, and Rust-Oleum gloss white paint to repaint the helmet. Which was also mentioned by a different member in the helmet forums.

Another part I found out through the forums is to basically use E6000 glue on pretty much everything.

Guest hel0wrench

I figured it was your first build, as it is mine too. There's no tutorial for the SC lid so there's a handful of us comparing notes and trying to use each others ideas to get them all done up. I'll have to try the plumbing caulk. Check in on Dane's SC build too. Maybe we can come up with a tutorial after we all get done.

My hinge bolts are bare steel that came with the kit. Did you just prime them?

You're right, I actually bought mine separately. I just forgot about those. You can find them here, or you can paint the ones you have.

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=10270

• 3 weeks later...