Jancelot's SC build

• 2 weeks later...

Back home and back to it. Worked on the holster magnet mod yesterday. One hole came out a bit sloppy but will be covered by white tape anyway.

IMG_4060Medium_zpsa96c5a36.jpg

IMG_4057Medium_zps3ae6224b.jpg

IMG_4067Medium_zpsb82438cb.jpg

Coming along nicely, well done

niice.im scared to rivet my lens to the face plate like you did tho lol.i need to reglue one of the clips on mine cuz it broke off.

ur build looks amazing.makes me want to touch up on mine more.

That's just a small bolt holding my lens in place as I didn't want to commit to a rivet, either.

No pictures but solid work done today. I had Jedi on for inspiration and noticed a couple items (sat down to study the Scouts of course).

"Go for help" scout's collar is down and open. You can see his chin, and hence no chin cup, when he yells the iconic line as well. Also, as you can see through the lens, I'm not sure if he is wearing a balaclava or if it is just pulled down.

The scout who battles with Leia might be wearing a ribbed neckseal.

I compiled a few screen grabs. I might just model my suit after "Go for help" trooper as I don't like the feel of tight collars. :)

scout_collar_zps0b6c5c98.png

Currently working on attaching velcro to the jumpsuit and various related pieces. I'll update with that when all is completed.

In the meantime I tea-dyed the strapping and pouches and have started on those attachments. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. The strapping was a bit too dark, but a trip through the washing machine lightened it up nicely.

20130902_103056_zps7cab5eba.jpg

Today I picked up a steel bar and made a trigger guard to go with the holster magnets. It came out pretty good but made me long for a proper work bench and vice. Below are shots with it attached to my Duff blaster. I will countersink the holes and pick up some flat head screws as well. Then I'll paint the whole thing and weather it.

20130903_152607_zpsd7e58e72.jpg

20130903_153047_zpsdccee325.jpg

20130903_153609_zps24d8b4bd.jpg

Yeah, there's been a lot of debate on the collar and balaclava of that scout, and also the ribbed neck seal. If you want to be approved however, you have to follow the CRL which states closed collar, balaclava, and no neck seal.

You have to remember that these where stunt performers, performing in a forest in the summer. So they probably "forgot" some parts, not really planning for high-def blu-ray movies with screen capture capability :)

And the guy in the neck seal was shot in a studio, so they probably smacked something on there just for that shot.

On a side note, speaking of the Endor forest, Anthony Daniels told me in person that every morning the crew had to go out and knock down 'widow makers', i.e. tree branches that where about to fall down and potentially hit someone. Apparently this was a very big issue, so for anyone travelling there, look up! :)

Is that a rivet I see inside the faceplate?... I'm trying to figure this out - Did you rivet the visor to the clip and glue the clamp in the faceplate? Then add the other clips to hold it down?

I don't even know if what I just said makes any sense in terms of building a helmet... Mind shedding some light on the subject?

Yeah, there's been a lot of debate on the collar and balaclava of that scout, and also the ribbed neck seal. If you want to be approved however, you have to follow the CRL which states closed collar, balaclava, and no neck seal.

You have to remember that these where stunt performers, performing in a forest in the summer. So they probably "forgot" some parts, not really planning for high-def blu-ray movies with screen capture capability :)

And the guy in the neck seal was shot in a studio, so they probably smacked something on there just for that shot.

On a side note, speaking of the Endor forest, Anthony Daniels told me in person that every morning the crew had to go out and knock down 'widow makers', i.e. tree branches that where about to fall down and potentially hit someone. Apparently this was a very big issue, so for anyone travelling there, look up! :)

Good to know. I'm going to see if I can dig up any of those conversations. I like seeing the history of how CRL choices were made. The info hunt is half the fun. :)

I have family up in a Marin County and they had a giant redwood in their previous backyard. During a particularly heavy rain my niece and nephew went out to play. While we were watching them a giant limb landed 10 feet from them. About a half second of WTF passed followed by "GET IN THE HOUSE, NOW!" Freaky scary.

Is that a rivet I see inside the faceplate?... I'm trying to figure this out - Did you rivet the visor to the clip and glue the clamp in the faceplate? Then add the other clips to hold it down?

I don't even know if what I just said makes any sense in terms of building a helmet... Mind shedding some light on the subject?

The SC instructions said to use a rivet, but I used a small screw so it was easier to remove if/when necessary.

I shaped the left, top, right clips and then glued all four in to the helmet. I wanted to make sure I could remove the visor if needed so I left extra unglued space on the side clips. I then inserted the visor behind all of the clips. Once I had the placement down I drilled the hole through the U-clip and the visor (taking *extra* care not to go any further) for the screw.

I'd like to try and shape the visor a bit better, but you can see the shape of the clips along with the extra space. I also made sure they had very firm tension to press down on the visor. The visor stays in place without the screw in the U-clip, but would move if bumped. So the screw keeps it from shifting.

Hope that helps.

20130904_144639_zpsc519a5f7.jpg

The SC instructions said to use a rivet, but I used a small screw so it was easier to remove if/when necessary.

I shaped the left, top, right clips and then glued all four in to the helmet. I wanted to make sure I could remove the visor if needed so I left extra unglued space on the side clips. I then inserted the visor behind all of the clips. Once I had the placement down I drilled the hole through the U-clip and the visor (taking *extra* care not to go any further) for the screw.

I'd like to try and shape the visor a bit better, but you can see the shape of the clips along with the extra space. I also made sure they had very firm tension to press down on the visor. The visor stays in place without the screw in the U-clip, but would move if bumped. So the screw keeps it from shifting.

Hope that helps.

Yes it did, thanks. :lol:

Just need to hand-sew the velcro on my sleeves and I'll be ready for a full test fit. Soon!

Sewed velcro on the bund and vest.

IMG_4106Medium_zpse184f703.jpg

IMG_4107Medium_zpsc199b56e.jpg

I glued the cloth belt to the plastic and will pick up shorter rivets tomorrow. I also want to reinforce the area on either side of the "buckle" as it seems that will take the brunt of the stress when flexed. Lastly, I'm going to redo the TD attachment method to use aluminum brackets and possibly magnets.

IMG_4110Medium_zps61f4ab03.jpg

Boots are almost done. I'm going to attach some padding to the inside of the brackets on the right boot.

IMG_4111Medium_zps81b8cf18.jpg

IMG_4112Medium_zps3405e097.jpg

DuKu on the left. Hyperfirm on the right. I painted the DuKu and might have made a mistake and it's taking a long time to dry. Used several light coats spaced out over an hour. Weather has been funky so I'll sand and retry if it doesn't work out.

IMG_4109Medium_zps5b33f77b.jpg

Test fit time! I already have some items I want to fix. Let me know if you all have any suggestions, critiques, etc.

• Pouches: iron, better insert to hold the shape, adjust position
  • Bund: shorten crotch strap
  • Gloves: method to keep from overlapping the forearm armor?
  • NOTE: not wearing the balaclava in these shots
  • Weathering!

_IMG_4198Medium_zpsd4565240.jpg

_IMG_4181Medium_zps56ad2598.jpg

_IMG_4183Medium_zps561ada1f.jpg

_IMG_4182Medium_zps15f0f1c2.jpg

_IMG_4195Medium_zps874310c0.jpg

_IMG_4186Medium_zps6fa1a433.jpg

Really nice work on your build. The only parts I would modify is the fit of the jumpsuit, maybe a few alterations to make it less baggy. Also, If you're going for Lancer, remove the "X" stitch in the cummerbund back. Your scout should be an easy Pathfinder approval. Great job.

Thanks, Jim! I agree, the suit is a bit baggy on me. I had to size up for the vertical fit as I have a long torso. I'll have a go at it this evening. Also, I will shoot for Lancer soon, but I also have to replace the faux-suede with the real stuff.

DuKu on the left. Hyperfirm on the right. I painted the DuKu and might have made a mistake and it's taking a long time to dry. Used several light coats spaced out over an hour. Weather has been funky so I'll sand and retry if it doesn't work out.

The DuKu blaster shouldn't need painting, and I know that Duff did extensive trials with the material and it doesn't take paint very well. You might send him a PM if you have questions about what may work.

Well, weather it needs painting or not is personal preference, but it certainly shouldn't have been painted (at least with a Kyrlon rattle can). That's a result of lack of due diligence on my part. I'm just partial to the finished look of a painted and weathered blaster (i.e. the Hyperfirm look) over the raw rubber. And I want to be clear that I'm not inferring any sort of slight on Duku's excellent product, either. Thanks for the info and I'll hit him up with some questions.