Store bought PVC boots

I was at Lowe's today and found these in white with tan soles for $50 a pair.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_122902-1765-2PP192410_0__?productId=3010184&Ntt=white+boots&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dwhite%2Bboots&facetInfo=

072874192433.jpg

If you cleanly cut off the top ring, carefully sand down the details, cover the logo on the left boot (holster would cover on the right) and add the dogbone in a similar color vinyl, I think these would be virtually indistinguishable and more sturdy than the wrapped vinyl method.

I know the ones in the movie were tan boots wrapped with vinyl, but those guys made a movie for a month. I'm thinking about something I can wear 3 times a month for years without it falling apart. I've trooped in my boots 4 times. Twice I've wiped down where the glue had started to show and started collecting dirt, and I've had to re-glue most of the vinyl once. I'm thinking about pulling them apart and trying to stitch the vinyl together. E6000 is flexible, but it's not flexible enough for walking around, driving a car, driving a motorcycle, playing with a band, and all the other things I expect my costumes to be able to do! Maybe I should buy these and a second holster for my fun troops, and save the vinyl boots for the serious troops where people care more about movie accuracy that no one will notice than comfort or being able to move freely.

i know folks in years past got away with these, but they wouldn't fly in the ECG, and we wouldn't permit anyone to troop in them, modded or not.

before doing all that work, check with your GML. i'd be shocked if they cleared it. besides, after all the work you'd need to do to them, you'd have put in more work than making a back up pair of screen accurate vinyl boots.

just my two cents

TO ALL NOOBS, DON'T THINK YOU CAN GET APPROVED WITH NON SCREEN BOOTS.

I know everyone here wants to be "screen accurate" but Im with Chris. Im in the process of making some summer boots right now. I do have screen boots I wear to my troops, but Im dredding the 100'+ summer comming up. I've never been in a LFL troop due to they always want a "screen look" troopers & there are no fat troopers in Star Wars so I can't troop those events. My troops are local charity fundraiser types. All the little kids who I make smile don't care if I have a screen boot. As for the we wouldn't permit it, Really? I'd tell who ever said that to me to kiss my <_< & troop as I wanted. But Chris stay away from those ugly rubber boots, just on ugly alone. Im working on full leather boots with most of the screen look, but would be able to withstand extra hot summers. In the cooler temps I'll wear my screen boots.

We all have to have some common sense. Costumes in films are meant to be worn a few times & discarded. They were meant to be seen & not "lived" in. Not to be worn over & over in severe weather conditions.

I would not go with those boots either, maybe for someone borrowing you suit that has a different size foot to get a feel for trooping but that would be it. those boots are "ugly" compared to screen boots and they would be HOT! I have trooped in my boots 10-15 times and they are holding up great, just a little reglue here and there on the edges nothing major.

How about something a step up? Like these boots.

e-Kid-s-ShoesTimberland-Kids-Waterproof-Boots-212_02_LRG.jpg

Maybe keep the tan sole and white toe area, glue on the 1/2" strip, and just do the calf vinyl and vinyl dog bone. This way, the main bendy part of the boot is a "real" boot, but the other areas are still accurate, but less prone to wear and tear?

I kind of agree that the rubber boots aren't the best option. Yes, kids won't notice but the shape and details aren't quite right either.

Im 99% sure any rubber boots arent acceptable for 501st clearance and we certainly would not clear those in the ECG.

The boots made with the tutorial here are very easy to do, inexpensive and are fine for trooping year round. Ive trooped 5 hr troops in the summer in those boots with no heat issues or anything of the sort. They are the most comfortable boots i have for any costume. Maybe its cuz i used to wear combat boots all year round, but i dont see any issues with summer wear with boots made with the tutorial here. Rubber boots would be WAY worse in the summer. If your used to wearing flip flops all summer..maybe then it would be an issue lol, but i havent had a problem with them ever :) ..i think this is just over thinking.

Im 99% sure any rubber boots arent acceptable for 501st clearance and we certainly would not clear those in the ECG.

The boots made with the tutorial here are very easy to do, inexpensive and are fine for trooping year round. Ive trooped 5 hr troops in the summer in those boots with no heat issues or anything of the sort. They are the most comfortable boots i have for any costume. Maybe its cuz i used to wear combat boots all year round, but i dont see any issues with summer wear with boots made with the tutorial here. Rubber boots would be WAY worse in the summer. If your used to wearing flip flops all summer..maybe then it would be an issue lol, but i havent had a problem with them ever :) ..i think this is just over thinking.

I don't think Chris is saying that heat is the problem. Rather the problem is that the screen accurate ones keep falling apart after just a few troops. So in order to keep those in optimal condition he would wear the rubber ones on fun troops but use the vinyl ones to gain clearance and do serious troops wear screen accuracy is a must. I wouldn't mind doing this as well, if it's allowed.

E6000 all the way!

My boots are probably 5 years old now and still going strong. I'm waiting for them to fall apart so I can update them a bit.

OK, good to know. I still might grab a pair to try out (the black ones are cheaper and I do need knee high black boots for another costume), but I can see why you guys say they won't work for scouts.

I might need to pull my boots apart and see if there's a better way I could put them together. The E6000 just isn't holding like it should. The right one pulls apart a good bit when I put them on or take them off. The holster just makes it tough to get the vinyl open enough to get my foot in there.

Also, you guys know the "v" in "pvc" stands for "vinyl," right? They're both just variations of plastic. Saying "no rubber boots would be accepted" is not a great way to say "no" to these, when the vinyl that's recommended is really straddling the lines between plastic, fabric and rubber.

Also, you guys know the "v" in "pvc" stands for "vinyl," right? They're both just variations of plastic. Saying "no rubber boots would be accepted" is not a great way to say "no" to these, when the vinyl that's recommended is really straddling the lines between plastic, fabric and rubber.

Technically that is true, but i think most people know when you say "rubber boots" we mean a rain boot or any boot that looks like that. I dont think anyone thinks THAT much into the term...i never did. The shape of the boots are just totally wrong and IMO look rediculous.

I use shoe goo to assemble mine. I also add a rivet on the back of the heel with the underside flap where the vecro is riveted to the boot there as well. Mine have never failed.

That's what I was thinking of doing, a rivet or some kind of heavy stitching on the bottom edge to keep these pieces from moving around. I might have to get a slide pull like Pandatrooper's tutorial for the laces on the right one. It's just so tough to get at those laces with the holster on there. I end up moving the dogbone just a little bit every time I put them on, so after every 5th or 6th time, I feel like I need to pull the dogbone off, clean the exposed glue that's gathered dirt, and then re-glue it.

I won't bother with these, I just wanted to put it out there for anyone looking for a quick fix. Making your own vinyl wrapped ones is a process that takes some time. Other than the toe being a little smaller, and having the raised surfaces (which can probably be sanded down), I don't see what people are talking about when they say these PVC boots look wrong. It's a tall white boot with a tan sole and raised heel. Yeah, shorter fishing boots, waders, whatever, they definitely look wrong. They're not as tightly fitted, and clearly made of a thinner material. I don't think these look that bad. They don't look very comfortable, and you'd probably have to make the holster removable to get em on and off.