My New KS Helmet

So i decided to sell off my MLC3 and get a KS helmet. I realized i like the look of the KS better thasn the MLC3. I feel the MLC3 looks "long faced" for lack of a better term lol. I'd still like a LW, but he still isnt doing them. So here is my build...i bought this as a kit. I filled the seam at the back and painted the entire helmet white and then weathered as usual. Im very happy with it :) The straight on pic makes it look a little weird..but in person it looks great. The decals are from Trooperbay except the "hook"...thats one of mine, as is the snout. :)

100_4742_zpsaa48d849.jpg

100_4741_zps906e6c9c.jpg

100_4744_zps59001038.jpg

100_4745_zps8fb1c1c4.jpg

100_4746_zps6c21a43e.jpg

100_4743_zpsdd9e900a.jpg

Yea i dunno, it seems people were complaining about the quality lately. I dont think its that bad. Theres a little mark on the front edge of the visor that looks like its from overheating the plastic, or a screwy mold..but with a little light sanding its almost invisible.

Is it the best qulaity, probably not, but honestly its not as bad as i see people saying in another recent thread. With a little work i think they come out very nice.

I personally got a pretty bad pull last June. The back part was a good inch wider on either side than the facemask, and reforming plastic that big to bring it in that much was a bit difficult. From what people have been saying, the quality in this past year has improved significantly. Yours certainly looks very good. A lot of KS helmets seem to have really wide lower jaws, where yours looks pretty tight and more accurate (last picture in the first post), definitely awesome. I do love the helmets, and it fits my giant head well, I've been considering getting a new pull of the lower back piece since the rest is pretty good once school calms down.

I think KS is hit or miss, but they do refund and/or replace bad parts. I got my kit from them 2 years ago (when it was really bad). I think things are better now, but as with any vendor, you need to let them know if you are not happy.

I have an MLCV3 an although I like it I find it very square looking, in those pics of the KS all the angled ones make it look more accurate than the MLC but the straight on pic just makes it look very different again, just as you've said!

Anyways you've done a great job on it!

Thanks Conor! Yea i dunno the angle was kinda bad in that last straight forward pic. I agree the MLC3 i had, i also thought it was a bit square looking and also kinda "long faced"..the KS still isnt perfect but recently i realized i liked the look of it better than the MLC. What i really would like is an LW but those aren't offered very often, so until then........i wait :)

• 4 weeks later...

As Chex instructed, I filled the seam on mine with paste made by soaking the ABS I trimmed off in acetone. It was a little rough, so I used some Bondo spot putty to smooth it over. Bondo alone will definitely crack because of how flexible the rest of the helmet is.

I'd love to see how caulk works. I never even thought about that. You'll still have to paint because there's no way you'll find caulk that matches the white of the ABS exactly. My GML said I had to paint because KS sent me two slightly different colors of white ABS.

Yea the ABS paste is something ive used alot in the past, but this was a big seam and i didnt have enough shavings around to make a good amount of the paste.

Ive heard of using the caulking before and i just didnt think of it or i would have used it.

The bondo worked well enough though :)