My Riding Patch

Chunk

Hi All,

I didn't want to hijack someone elses thread. But a couple of you asked for pics of how I did my riding patch. I originally used the template found here. But it was too hard matching up the two pieces & it left a missing wedge shape in the butt area. I didn't like this at all. So I got a large manilla envelop & made a 1 piece template. I layed my jumpsuit flat as possible & traced a nice shape that I was happy with. Folded the template in half to make both sides exactly the same. Once I was happy with the shape I traced it onto my micro fiber & cut about 1/2" wider all the way around & sewed a hem. I bought some heavy duty "magic web". I layed the patch over the micro web & cut the same shape out. Once again I layed my jumpsuit flat as possible, placed the magic web & patch where I wanted it. I placed my leg bands where I wanted them under the patch. Slowly placed a hot iron on it & raised & reapplyed the hot iron until I covered the entire patch. Once it cools it is permenant, sewing is not needed if you use the HD magic web. I sewed the patch onto the jumpsuit for extra security. I used micro fiber because I can throw my entire jumpsuit into the washing maching vs taking it to a dry cleaner & paying extra because it's real suede. My riding patch & mud flap are both made of black micro fiber. Also the price was a lot cheaper than real suede. I paid $4 for an entire yard. This same process can be used for real suede as well. Here's a pic of my completed riding patch.

Hope this helps.....

crotch011_zps7371a29d.jpg

The magic web is the best thing ever. There are a couple diffrent kinds. Make sure you get the "Heavy Duty". This is the one that only requires a hot iron. Some of the others you need a wet hankercheif or cloth over your patch. The wetness makes steam in turn melts the glue. I've used both & the HD is easiest & stonger.

What you want is "HEATnBOND ULTRAHOLD" iron-on adhesive. Here's the website, but they only sell by the bolt. You can find it at any fabric store. I think I paid $7 a yard. Well worth it. I also used the Magic Web $5yd, not sure who the manufactuer is. The magic web is not as strong, & the one you need the wet cloth to use. The Heat n Bond is easier to use. Just need a hot iron, press, hold 10sec lift & place on next section & repeat until all fabric is covered. Let cool & your good to go.

http://www.thermowebonline.com/p/ultrahold-35-yard-bolt?pp=24

just regular 2" elastic. it can be found at any fabric store, or walmart. justin if your trully having trouble finding it. pm me & we can work something out.

just regular 2" elastic. it can be found at any fabric store, or walmart. justin if your trully having trouble finding it. pm me & we can work something out.

Got it at JoAnn. There was so much stuff that I was getting that night, I was probably staring right at it and just spaced out. Will be working on it tonight. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Nevermind, I discovered the answer today. I picked up some Heat n Bond Ultra Hold, and it clearly states on the package that it's "great for: fabric, patches, denim, leather, suede, appliques." So, should work fine for the real stuff too. I will find out for sure this week when I add my riding patches.

Don't forget to place the leg bands & add a couple stiches to keep in place before you iron your suede down. Leg bands go about 2" down from the crotch.