Fiberglass Scout bucket from ebay

It might not be the primer at all. It could be the diffrent materials that the armor is made from. I just finshed painting a full set of armor made from HIP & a helmet made of ABS. Used the same brand of primer & high gloss white on both. Ended up with two diffrent finishes. Too me it didn't matter, because I wet sanded all & am going for a weathered look.

Sorry to hijack too :blush:

I hate to hijack this thread and go a bit off topic,first of all I love my cucblack bucket. My problem was I didn't know what primer he used. So sanded it down and hit it with rustoleum gloss white and wet sanded and repeated the process around 8 times with no luck at getting the same glossy white as my armor. I ended up with a very,very light gloss on it. So the moral is never mix the paints and primers. cucblack can you please post what primer you use?

The helmet come ready to paint. You don't need sanded. I recommend automotive paint. For get a glossy finish you need paint in a warm or apply heat while do the paint job. Also you apply varnish.

That looks great! Excited to start on the helmet once it comes. Christian, did you do the painting or did you have it done at an automotive shop?

I do all the job. I have my own workshop and I supervise all the building process.

That's quite a claim Joe....

But I'd have to disagree.

Whilst it's very nice, John's (LW) bucket is far superior in terms of shape, more accurate in terms of construction material and method.

The LW, in my opinion is probably the best bucket out there currently.

To each his own. I myself prefer a more sturdy & hefty bucket to the ultra lite ones out there.

Plus the LW is NOT available to everyone. Just recently did someone get one of his helmets after a long hiatus & word has come that he will make just a couple more. So possibly less than 10 will get this helmet. Where anyone can get a CB.

Joe, any tips on your painting of it would be appreciated! Mine is on its way.

I don't wanna hyjack this thread so I will start a new one in a couple days with my completed helmet & my process of painting.

To each his own. I myself prefer a more sturdy & hefty bucket to the ultra lite ones out there.

Plus the LW is NOT available to everyone. Just recently did someone get one of his helmets after a long hiatus & word has come that he will make just a couple more. So possibly less than 10 will get this helmet. Where anyone can get a CB

Well, yes. I agree that a GRP (fibreglass) bucket does have a certain "je ne sais quoi". I myself have both a GRP bucket and a plastic one, so I know exactly what you mean.

But if you're looking for screen accuracy, then really you need to be looking at plastic buckets, because that was used on screen, and beyond that you need to be looking at the 5 part (split half) construction method as per the originals.

LW is one of two lids that I know of currently that use this construction method and is more accurate in terms of detailing, material and method.

For the screen accuracy fanatics out there, no matter how accurate a GRP bucket is, it's still not made of the right stuff.

[/size][/font]

Well, yes. I agree that a GRP (fibreglass) bucket does have a certain "je ne sais quoi". I myself have both a GRP bucket and a plastic one, so I know exactly what you mean.

But if you're looking for screen accuracy, then really you need to be looking at plastic buckets, because that was used on screen, and beyond that you need to be looking at the 5 part (split half) construction method as per the originals.

LW is one of two lids that I know of currently that use this construction method and is more accurate in terms of detailing, material and method.

For the screen accuracy fanatics out there, no matter how accurate a GRP bucket is, it's still not made of the right stuff.

I always say movie costumes were meant to be seen not lived in. We have to have common sense. Costumes were made to be seen on screen for a few mins at a time & last a few days at most. Not be worn every weekend in troops, parades,...ect. Look at Peter Cushing's Grand Moff Tarkin, It's a known fact that he wore slippers or booties while fiming his scenes because the jack boots hurt his feet & only wore them in the full body shots. In Cpt America it shows Chris Evans running down the street barefoot through all kinds of debri. He wore special fake feet (shoes in essance) If you are to wear this version of the costume does that mean you run around barefoot all day because the charecter was meant to look like he was barfoot in the movei? Yes it's nice to look exactly like they did in the movies. But I'd rather have a costume that looks good & will last a long time. Not one or two times & I have to repair it over & over.

The LW is a nice helmet, but again it's not available to everyone. SC, KS,CB are all nice helmets too & one can buy right now & have in hand in a few weeks. I can not comment on the SC as I do not have one. But I can comment on the 3 I do have, Don Post modified, KS, & CB. I have seen the eFx at the convention & it looks good too, but will probably never be made, & if it does come into production. The price is outrageous! Rumor is $600 US Dollars

But the comment was "on the market" meaning available to us now. Rumor has it that LW will make a few more in the next coming weeks. This is great for those that are lucky enough to get 1 of the few. But for all our up & coming scouts its not fair to say LW is the best out there when it's not available to them.

But we are getting off the subject here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion & how accurate they want o make thier costume.

So with that LW & CB are both great looking helmets & I would be happy to have either. So if you want feel free to send me a LW :P

The CB helmet is nice, no doubt.

I have a KS, SC, MLC, and a Chef helmet (shadow scout). I personally love my Chef helmet the best for look, sizing, and durability. It is also made of GRP. While the helmets are all similar, each one is slightly different than the other (size, shape, cut, etc.). It's good to have options! :)

I do agree with Chef on the LW helmet and accuracy of the shape and method for assembly. A lot of research went into it. Also, from what I understand, if you want one...send LW a note and ask him. ;)

• 1 month later...