Porrie73's Biker Scout build

Porrie73

Starting a thread to chart my progress, I'll update with photo's as I go.

So far:

Gloves: received

Armour: requested

Soft parts: flight suit received, rest to follow

Boots: received

Helmet: requested

Am starting with the extremities hands and feet and working in.

Starting on my boot build this weekend, will let you know how I get on.

I'm sure I will have a million and one questions for you before I'm done.

First cuts to my boot soles - feel like I've started to build now :)

7EECB7F0-10AE-424C-B9F5-89D0D6073874-1139-00000144B1540045_zpsc0fe3931.jpg

Have ordered my vinyl, should come next week, have nabbed Simon's E6000 for the gluing after the heating and stretching.

• Like 1

I apologise for the poor quality of the images.

First boot sole cut, just needs a Dremel running over to smooth the rough bits.

Side view

DSC_0099_zps17198030.jpg

Toe view

DSC_0098_zpsf80435e3.jpg

Can you let me know if I need to use anything to seal the sole after cutting?

Feedback/comments gratefully received :)

Ordered some thinsulate leather gloves, these were the closest I could find to the original.

Before starting to modify

DSC_0100_zpsa20f5c5c.jpg

Top view with zip and strap removed

DSC_0101_zps86d0e96a.jpg

Have also removed padding from fifth knuckle rib, just need to sew back flush to the glove.

I have tiny hands and even a small is massive so have unpicked gloves, removed thinsulate padding. Now need to resize cut and sew back together.

Two halves of glove ready for cutting down.

DSC_0102_zps708c7d03.jpg

May end up a dogs dinner but will keep you updated on progress.

I know these gloves aren't great for accuracy, I just want something to tide me over til a better alternative comes along.

Got my vinyl for modifying my boots.

DSC_0105_zps96e2865e.jpg

That'll teach me to pay attention, ordered a metre of vinyl, didn't realise it was 1.37m wide.

Got plenty if I make a mistake.......:)

Started adding vinyl to my boots today.

Below is image before heating.

00019DA4-068D-4E6C-9C44-FF07AF55E406-975-000002A37B5A64D5_zps30d372b3.jpg

Below is after the first bout of heating and stretching the vinyl.

46DBF104-7164-445D-BCC5-7331DD7C14C3-975-000002A3831A64F9_zps8e33e75f.jpg

I'm happy with results so far, will do another couple of heating and stretching sessions.

Also below is current progress on my glove modification. Comments will be welcome as I am not sure they will pass muster.

A871A5B9-FFB9-4F11-92A6-E3ABE99C1F7A-975-000002A88A29AA33_zps4bf8ad3a.jpg

So far I have resized them, removed the fifth rib and attached the finger suede, now trying to sew them back together.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished sewing together first glove. I've removed the fifth rib over the knuckles, added suede and made the gloves a little smaller as they were huge.63B75B4C-B92E-4477-87D9-D3171702FB9F-5299-00000BC9728A86CB_zpsf3ba7fbd.jpg

Over Easter weekend will be starting work on my flight suit and if my fabric arrives in time my cummerbund.

• 3 months later...

After delays due to holidays illness and work commitments, I am now getting my behind in gear and starting this build in earnest :)

Making a start with my helmet.

Marking up the cut lines

null_zps1b30103d.jpgnull_zps942767bd.jpg

Starting to cut and sanding down

null_zpse65fc082.jpgnull_zpsf2a60440.jpg

Two halves taped together

null_zps863a7744.jpgnull_zpsb342b93f.jpgnull_zps599fe097.jpgnull_zps0c155572.jpg

Not a bad four hours work with lots of advice from TK69069.

Work so far:

Was busy cutting and sanding the visor shroud and face plate on Sunday then test fitting everything to check the it goes together.

Results so far:

null_zps1c7a92c9.jpgnull_zpse3b4c9c6.jpg

Learning of the day, don 't try your helmet on without getting the abs dust out first, really hurts when it gets in your eyes.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Today have finished t-cutting the front and back chest plate and filed the tank to fit.null_zpsc96aed11.jpgnull_zpsdb1b90c8.jpgnull_zps932de0d6.jpgnull_zpsc171f23d.jpg

Have also trimmed and filed the knees and shoulder bells.null_zps207bd28b.jpgnull_zpsb87bfba7.jpgnull_zpsaaff4d8a.jpgnull_zpse8c6d041.jpg

Blaster arrived ready for filling and assembling. Belated 40th gift from Simon.

null_zps08213479.jpg

Thank you to Simon 'SIMpixels' for all his help.

Have also had under suit shortened and have modified the collar, need to tighten the legs then will post pics.

• 1 month later...

Update on my build:

Have shortened the boiler suit, tightened the legs and added the elastic, just have the suede to add now, already done this once but wasn't happy so am re-doing. Please can you advise on position of thigh elastics, not sure if they need to be higher.

null_zps8aba1eef.jpg

Have made cummerbund and one pouch, need to redo the flap as it is slightly too short. Any advice as to whether I am on the right track would be great.

null_zps95566d4d.jpgnull_zpsb614c4c2.jpgnull_zps94b5f337.jpg

Trial fit of chest piece with suit, flak jacket and cummerbund.

null_zpsee9b83e7.jpg

Simon has been working on my blaster, the scope has been attached, and the trigger guard has been recessed into the handle, waiting for the glue to dry before painting.

null_zps2211b3e2.jpgnull_zps00eb12a8.jpgnull_zps845f2ff4.jpgnull_zps290ba7ea.jpg

Hey! Don't point a gun at us!

You're looking great! Well, as great as you can in half a suit. I've come to realize that you look like a total dork until you put your helmet on, but that's something we have to live with... ;)

Your elastics could go an inch or so up. They sit higher than you think, so look at some reference shots and try to get them as high as there. Mine are up to crotch level actually.

I love the pouch fabric, just remember to try and get the same colour on your straps. Not a requirement for basic approval, but for Lancer it is, and it does look a bit better.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest hel0wrench

Nice build! Everything looks real good and put together nicely. The only thing that looks off is the helmet. It seems to sit real low and doesn't look like you have a neck. It could just be the angles or my mental image of the canon scouts. Maybe a little padding to raise it up a little, but other than that I think it'll pass no problem.

• 2 months later...

Just realised I haven't updated this thread. My scout cleared in November ready for my induction troop on November 23rd. It was everything I hoped and more. Thank you for all the comments and advice. TB26475 out.

• Like 1