Glove options

http://www.ebikerleather.com/all-leather-raincover-gauntlet-glove-velcro-strap-lining.html

http://www.jcwhitney.com/interstate-leather-universal-insulated-leather-motorcycle-gloves/p2000067.jcwx?filterid=u0j1

would either of these work for approval? I know i'd still have to add the suede to the fingers and thenremove the wrist strap and zippers. Only problem I see is that the zipper doesn't go from the bottom of gauntlet to the wrists. The zipper goes left-to-right on the wrist. Once removed it might look funny.

Thoughts? Worth buying? Or should I find something else that's closer?

Nobody answered the question. Would these pass? I don't like the idea of one person being the source for a part. I know everyone says SA does a great job. I'm not arguing that. It's just weird when there isn't a licensed version of something, or a found part that was used in the original costume, to have only one supplier.

I tried joining a completely different costuming group over a year ago, and started by building everything I could and asking where to get the rest. Like here, a lot of this was done via PM rather than out in the open because of trademarks and licensing and whatever. I was told that none of the parts I'd built would get me in, and that there's one supplier making almost all of the stuff that's specific to these costumes. That supplier was a little overpriced, and my home built parts were just as good. It was a little while before I realized most of the moderators worked at the prop studio that supplied all of this. That's shady. Starting a costuming group, building it up to a point where people want to have the highest quality costume to join, and then making sure that only people who buy their costume parts from you can join.

I am not suggesting that's what's going on here. I do not think that at all. It just bothers me when people get used to one supplier, long waits, and the implication that buying from anyone else won't be acceptable.

• Like 2

It would all depend on your GML buddy...

The second set look pretty good, and I'd say are the better of the two options, but they will have to be modified. The zip and wrist strap would need to be taken off for a start, and then you'll have to do something about the knuckle ribbing (they only have three and the CRL states four).

Then the suede patches will need adding to the fingers and the such like.

But like I said, it would all depend on your GML. I know ours wouldn't clear either of them gloves without some serious modifications.

But like I always say... if there is a fantastic screen accurate option out there already... Use it.

I understand your concerns with their being only one supplier. But hey, there's a market. IF you can make gloves...

I know our GML for the Star Garrison would not approve them either. You could always keep an eye out for the original Espirit gloves that were used in the movie. But, would need to modify them too.

bikerscout_glove_details.jpg

So if SA can't help us anymore, what are we to do? Any of these glove options would need heavy modification that are all not easy at all. Options seem very limited right now. Is there any tutorials or help on which kind to modify?

SA contacted me back and only has small or xl anymore. Finding a pair of real espirits seems quite difficult and been looking for weeks now non stop.

I'm the same way....I know the original glave options I found both need heavy modding but if SA will not have a new supplier of gloves for some time....what are we to do, y'know?

Yea, SA seems to be only person who was making the gloves, and the few custom jobs I've seen ppl.... look awful. Adding that missing zipper segment especially is a big huh? Most similar options have features that can't be removed so they would never pass. The few pairs I've seen with right amount of ribs, have other features that make them useless as potential mods too.

This can be a troubling roadblock for those of us trying to get an approval in the near future. Can make some kind of mod job, it won't likely look pretty since it requires major skill to work with leather. If SA can't help future folks, how are we to get in? I mean will my ugly mod pass the muster cause that's what it's going to be? Think it would be better to have something very close to the real thing at least instead of some chopped up home job. Cause right now it's looking like only option is getting lucky and finding someone selling a right size pair of the original vintage Espirit gloves which are getting harder and harder to find.

Yea, SA seems to be only person who was making the gloves, and the few custom jobs I've seen ppl.... look awful. Adding that missing zipper segment especially is a big huh? Most similar options have features that can't be removed so they would never pass. The few pairs I've seen with right amount of ribs, have other features that make them useless as potential mods too.

This can be a troubling roadblock for those of us trying to get an approval in the near future. Can make some kind of mod job, it won't likely look pretty since it requires major skill to work with leather. If SA can't help future folks, how are we to get in? I mean will my ugly mod pass the muster cause that's what it's going to be? Think it would be better to have something very close to the real thing at least instead of some chopped up home job. Cause right now it's looking like only option is getting lucky and finding someone selling a right size pair of the original vintage Espirit gloves which are getting harder and harder to find.

I emailed SA about the gloves. If a pair of XL gloves wouldn't be too big i would've ordered a pair but he currently only has S and XL gloves. He said he was looking for a new manufacturer for his glove specs. He wasn't satisfied with his current supplier. Who knows how long that will be y'know? I've seen a few Scouts that have some of the gloves that I mentioned in the first post. And those gloves they were wearing didn't have any mods. Wonder how they got passed by their GML? Unless they got cleared and then never went back to update their gloves.

Those older gloves used to be acceptable. I started my build 2 years ago and folks were using the Whitney and such as ok but not lancer spec. So those other Scouts you see likely were accepted before the change in standards.

Guest Evans86

I've been on the hunt for some gloves recently too after contacting SA last week.

To closest ones I can find are on evilbay - ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Leather-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Gloves-size-M-/181059016455?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Gloves&var=480210653070&hash=item2a27f55707 ) (Sorry in advance Im not sure about your ebay link policies)

They've got the zip and strap to cut away, one knunkle rib too many maybe and just add some suede to the fingers and thumbs, I think they're the best option I've seen other than SA so far

Yeah, agreed Chris, they are indeed possibly the closest that I've seen in a long time.

And you could probably argue the knuckle rib too. They do look pretty good.

Nice find.

hmmmm.... I'd say nay myself... Like you say, they do look cheap, but surprisingly are not!

Those ones that Chris posted (two up) are still better. And much much cheaper!

I found these but I think they look pretty cheap and not quite right and also quite expensive. What say the experts? http://www.evolutiontoys.com.ar/index.php?id=item&item=469

I agree with the fellas above...avoid this one.

Was lucky and nabbed a pair of original Espirit gloves off ebay almost right after it got posted heh. They are pretty old and worn though, I don't know why but like the top half has browned while the bottom is still black. Wonder if they were left in the sun facing up or something for long periods of time that they discolored on the top or what. You remove the strap and the part the strap was over is perfectly black too hehe.

Anyways I'm going to attempt and dye them back to black and if so this will be a savior for me. Hopefully the leather dye sticks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been going back and forth with SithArmour for about 3 months now, and the latest email I got (4-5 days ago) he said:

I hate to say it, but if you found another supplier that would be your best bet. I won't produce anything unless the products meet my standards and it's really difficult to find shop who qualify.

This was after I explained we want ours ready for FCBD in May....so looks like he is not an option at least for a while.....are there any other options left for those of us who need gloves?

We (there are five of us) have everything else, so hope we haven't shelled out $1000+ each with no chance of being approved....

Guest Evans86

I've been on the hunt for some gloves recently too after contacting SA last week.

To closest ones I can find are on evilbay - ( http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a27f55707 ) (Sorry in advance Im not sure about your ebay link policies)

They've got the zip and strap to cut away, one knunkle rib too many maybe and just add some suede to the fingers and thumbs, I think they're the best option I've seen other than SA so far

I finally received the gloves I mentioned in my earlier post today :D

I forgot to take pictures of what they looked like when they arrived because before I knew it I was already taking a knife to them (Doh)

imag0058qu.jpg

Anything needing to be cut off are all along the side seams which is a clip, tag and wrist strap, then I cut the zip out and had a slight mishap tearing some leather but some e6000 on the inside and leather boot polish have sorted things out.

There's already some suede on the index finger and some suede on the palm which I haven't taken off yet fearing what's underneath it.

The only problem I can see is getting suede onto the thumb and middle finger without making them look like crap ! Sewing doesn't seem to be an option see I need to find some good leather glue and have at it