i think i'm done but what do yall think about my sc?

i have some 3M bolts on order so when those come in i will replace the bolts, i think the ears need to be a bit wider, and im not happy with the visor but it was the best i could do, i'm also thinking about pulling the whole thing apart and building up areas with fiberglass and coat the whole thing with it.

DSCN0164.jpg

DSCN0165.jpg

DSCN0166.jpg

DSCN0167.jpg

once again i cant figure out what the heck i did wrong with the pictures

I disagree Jim...

It's a bit wibbly wobbly isn't it? What's that massive dimple near the ear?

The surface looks a bit 'lumpy' or is that just reflections from nearby things?

Not criticising your building skills here Greg, more the actual thing.

If it's reflections, then Jeff you have my apologies, the lighting really isn't doing this justice. It just doesn't look very crisp.

Just my own thoughts.

It is a bit lumpy but i plan on weatherimg it a bit so im hoping that will deter from the obvious lumps, the dimple by the ear is where i heated it too much so i was going to make that a blast impact area or something like that, mostely what i was concerbed about wa the general shape more than likely i will order a new one and build it better... Im not going for lancer at first just enough to pass general approval, but critisism is what im looking for.

Def trim the ears out some more. Something just seems odd about the snout..I don't know if the grey is too dark, or the black around it isn't symmetrical enough. The fish hook..is that a square sticker with a fish hook on it? It's not bad, and a great first try. I would say those bolts would have to changed out before clearance, but Lancer will require a lot more work, or a new bucket all together when the time comes.

I disagree Jim...

It's a bit wibbly wobbly isn't it? What's that massive dimple near the ear?

The surface looks a bit 'lumpy' or is that just reflections from nearby things?

Not criticising your building skills here Greg, more the actual thing.

If it's reflections, then Jeff you have my apologies, the lighting really isn't doing this justice. It just doesn't look very crisp.

Just my own thoughts.

Okay...no worries Rob! ;) The dimple near the left ear is weird, not sure about that part. Also, the snout does seem a bit off too. But from my iPhone the helmet looked good for a first build attempt. A little tweaking, and fixing here and there, it'll be nice. :)

I'm new here, so excuse the dumb question, but why are you ordering bolts? Aren't 1" elevator bolts correct? I got some for 80 cents each at the small time hardware a mile from my house. Add some 13 cent nuts to the back and I already had some washers to fit. I had to paint them, but Rustoleum Smoke Grey or Painter's Touch Winter Grey is right, isn't it? Those are available everywhere.

I'm new here, so excuse the dumb question, but why are you ordering bolts? Aren't 1" elevator bolts correct? I got some for 80 cents each at the small time hardware a mile from my house. Add some 13 cent nuts to the back and I already had some washers to fit. I had to paint them, but Rustoleum Smoke Grey or Painter's Touch Winter Grey is right, isn't it? Those are available everywhere.

For accuracy, the 3M Speedglas (plastic) bolts are the correct bolts Chris. Look around in the trade forum and you'll see the bolts Greg's talking about. They are the same bolts used in some welding shields.

it was cheaper to order from people selling them here then it was to go to the 3M website or some welding site and order em there.

That's not exactly true. I went to Arcet (my local welding supply dealer) and picked up the full headgear with bolts for $10. I saw someone selling that same kit the other day for close to $30 on BSN.

you're not in BFE florida are ya

besides that the website i found em on sold them for 13 dollars plus 5 bucks S/H, i ordered em from someone on here for 15 shipped.

Lol...ummmmm....no. I was just saying. :/

i meant no offense good sir' just merely pointing out that sometimes location dictates what we can and can't buy.

It's all good Greg. No offense taken. Congrats on finishing your lid. Can't wait til I get mine done. :)

I just learned today (if you look at my helmet thread), that the 1" elevator bolts look right on my helmet because it's so much bigger than everyone else's. Looking at the "screen used helmet" section of the Gallery (again, why don't we have better pictures?), and measuring my helmet in approximately the same way, I see that mine's almost an inch longer and wider. It's the right height, though!

Screen used helmet bolts are 22mm across.

I have found that 10mm Coach bolts (sometimes called square cup bolts) have the same diameter head. But you do need to remove the domed crown.