Undersuit options

madmann883

Hey Guys,

Starting my biker scout soon. I have already ordered my helmet (KS) and my armor (SC), and I have my gloves in hand, so now I am looking into the soft parts. First, I wasnt to get my undersuit together. I figured it would make for better messurements when I go to make my flak vest and cummerbund. I just need some help finding a good and affordable option. I am looking into modfing a jumpsuit.

This jumpsuit was recommended to me:

http://www.automotiveworkwear.com/RedKap/CT10/coveralls.html

I know I will have to remove the chest pockets and modify the collor. Would this be a good option? Also, how do you go about removing the pockets on the hip?

Do you guys have a better option for an jumpsuit? I was looking at prices for racing suits and it is a little out of my price range.

Any help will be welcomed.

I have this Redkap jumpsuit and modified it for my costume. It only has 4 pockets, 2 in front and 2 in back, that can be removed very easily. I was able to modify the neck enclosure using one of the pockets I removed. It's a great, low cost option and is very durable. :duim:

• Like 1

Thanks Jim! You are the man by the way! What did you do with the pockets on the side, though? Did you just remove them and sew the holes closed? Can you email me pictures of the neck on your jumpsuit so I have a reference picture?

Hmm... that's a good idea. I will let my prospective members know about that one. I was under the impression that you would need to remove those as well.

Well I am going to order the suit on Monday. Once I get some time, I will start modifing it.

Hmm... that's a good idea. I will let my prospective members know about that one. I was under the impression that you would need to remove those as well.

I was under the same impression as well. I asked Adam (the GT garrison liaison) that question last month, and still haven't received an answer yet. I'd really like to know what they are willing to accept considering this will be my first costume. A couple of other Virginians on this board have already ordered the Redkap suit. I'm about to do likewise, now that there seems to be a wave of us doing so.

Oh gosh, Barry... I am so sorry I didn't respond. That was my fault. Please forgive me. I forgot you emailed me.

The good news is that we have the answer, and now both of us can move forward.

I didn't realize it was you Adam. lol. I saw this on the mobile version of the site (which doesn't give your real name). No worries on not getting back. I'm just glad it's all figured out now. It's kinda ironic that I had this question, was directed to take it to the local level, and now have it answered back where it started. Glad to see you're working on a TB as well. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BenPass

Hey there, I'm looking at getting this as my soft armor, and I was wondering how much needs to be done to it to conform to standards. Did it end up just being taking the pockets off, and sewing one of them as a flap for the neck, or were there more modifications needed? Also, how was the sizing?

That really is interesting. Does that change anything for collar requirements considering that it IS a screen cap?

No, it should not. It's only one screen grab and variant showing a scout (or stunt man) with a mod costume. There is a screen grab of a scout with no TD greeblie, but it is still a requirement. Remember, where the movie was filmed, it must have been super hot. So we may be seeing a stunt man with a mod suit due to the heat, or the collar was left open in this shot. Mine opens like this, but I keep it up and closed as a rule.

From what I can tell in other screen caps (which are all much darker than that one), it's maybe supposed to be that collar, but flipped up with a flap that goes across under the chin to close it? How did anyone ever see that? Are we basing it on the suit that travels for displays?

I have a Redkap coverall and did this exact thing to mine (flipped the collar, added a mandarin closure, etc). But, the CRL is based on what we know, have seen throughout the movies, screen caps, insider info, in the MOM exhibit, etc. There are always little things like this that pop up and make you go...hmmmm. "Was it a stunt man, were all the scout suits like this, eh?!" That's one of the fun aspects in this costuming world and with the scout. I'll let the senior scouts weigh in and give you their 2 cents, but that's mine. :ph34r:

For anyone interested, here's how I did the mod on my RedKap suit. I took one of the 4 pockets removed from the suit and made a neck closure out of it. Then I attached Velcro to it and the corresponding underside of the collar and sewed the closure in place. When I close the suit up (using the button snaps), I then flip the collar up, and close the neck up similar to a mandarin collar. The flak vest goes on over the suit and I'm all set.

biker-suit1_zps52d788de.jpg

biker-suit2_zpseb8dee1b.jpg

biker-suit3_zps40194cbd.jpg

• Like 1

For anyone interested, here's how I did the mod on my RedKap suit. I took one of the 4 pockets removed from the suit and made a neck closure out of it. Then I attached Velcro to it and the corresponding underside of the collar and sewed the closure in place. When I close the suit up (using the button snaps), I then flip the collar up, and close the neck up similar to a mandarin collar. The flak vest goes on over the suit and I'm all set.

Awesome - thanks for sharing! This is exactly how I plan to do mine based on your suggestions!

• 3 weeks later...