Simple Bolt Cover solution (KS)

I've been upgrading my KS helmet to make it a bit more screen worthy.

First I changed out the KS sticker/snout with rottie's screen accurate one.

The next thing to tackle was to replace the Frankenstein bolt-looking furniture pads that KS uses for bolt covers with more screen accurate ones. I bought the replacement hardware set.... but after receiving it and realizing that I was going to have to drill some big holes in my helmet (and not being all that crafty, honestly), decided to set upon another solution.

I know a lot of folks were buying either 3M bolts or elevator bolts and then snipping off the threads and gluing them onto the helmet. I don't have the tools to do a clean job snipping off the threads, so instead I just ordered 1 inch diameter aluminum discs from one of the many jewelry sellers on Etsy. For $8 I got a bag of 10. I spray painted a pair the same color as my snout, glued them onto the helmet and.... voila!

20140802_093331_zpsjx8fpipx.jpg

Much more screen accurate helmet!

20140802_103923_zpsn3sm9vur.jpg

• Like 2

What kind of bolt do you use behind the disc. Your solution looks really good

I didn't change the rivet that KS uses when they put their helmets together. Sorry, should have mentioned that I bought a helmet that was already assembled. The faceplate stays up when I lift it and I didnt want to risk changing out that hardware and screwing that up.

That's great. Looks just like the 1 inch elevator bolts I used on my KS. Someone should tell KS to just send out those instead of the furniture feet they package with the helmet.

What color did you use? Mine are rustoleum winter grey... one of my favorite colors back when I did graffiti, although it's probably a little too light and too blue.

• Like 1

That's great. Looks just like the 1 inch elevator bolts I used on my KS. Someone should tell KS to just send out those instead of the furniture feet they package with the helmet.

What color did you use? Mine are rustoleum winter grey... one of my favorite colors back when I did graffiti, although it's probably a little too light and too blue.

I got Krylon ColorMaster Paint & Primer. the color is "Classic Gray" in gloss. I used that on both the snout and the covers

I hate Krylon Classic Grey so much. I bet it works fine for this, but I painted a 16ft long, 8ft high section of Death Star wall with it. Every spray was a different shade, every can slightly different. It's so inconsistent.

• Like 1

I hate Krylon Classic Grey so much. I bet it works fine for this, but I painted a 16ft long, 8ft high section of Death Star wall with it. Every spray was a different shade, every can slightly different. It's so inconsistent.

Hahaha, well yeah I think for a snout and some bolt covers it's pretty good. Looked good with the trooperbay decals too.

I did a similar thing but found Neodymium magnets that size. I CA glued a little plastic pip at the center so it stays centered on the hex bolt but it makes helmet disassembly super easy.

I considered magnets but I didn't want to put something in the helmet that could potentially mess with my Aker microphone. Or magnetize my brain. hahaha

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this! I ended up finding some of the metal discs for jewelry stamping at Hobby Lobby for $.99 for a pack of 4. Only downside was they had a tiny hole to fish a chain through. I used a very small amount of Bondo glazing putty to fill in the hole and used the same primer grey I used on my snout, and it looks pretty good! I had to do something as the furniture pads KS supplied got goofed up when I taped the helmet off for doing the black on the snout. The paint on the furniture pads came right off with blue painters tape, which was only on for a few hours.

• Like 1

Glad to hear that, Chris!

Sent you a PM