Camel-toe-be-gone; a solution with foam

Aeruk

I recently completed my scout and, while I was very pleased with how it turned out overall, my cummerbund suffered from some wicked camel toe. Even though I had seen the plastic strip mod that prevents this, I didn't want to rip apart my cummerbund and restitch a majority of it to get inside the flap (its construction left no other choice unless I wanted to get real sloppy).

Before:

bund_before.jpg

I wanted to try craft foam as a method of keeping its shape while also being comfortable and bendable if necessary, but I needed to find a way to attach it to the inside of the flap without stitching through to the front. I figured that small sew-on snaps were my best bet, as I could easily hand stitch through only the inside layer.

I cut a wedge of 1/8" craft foam to fit inside the flap and hand sewed snaps into the corners, being careful not to stitch through holes too close together in the foam, else it might rip through when removing it later (the holes are about 1/8" apart at least). Then I sewed the snaps to just the inside layer of the flap, being careful to curve it into a shape like that when worn, otherwise the foam will buckle when it's put on. I secured the stitches with just a touch of glue for good measure, snapped it on, and was good to go.

The result works really well and is very comfortable. I may reinforce the tip of the foam wedge to help it stay convex to make absolutely sure it doesn't pinch in the middle, but even like this it's a huge improvement.

bund.jpg

After:

bund_after.jpg

Looks good, smart fix with the foam. I think overall it looks nice, but I think if you want to go for Lancer in the future, the overall width of the cod might look better if it was a little wider. You can see on the ILM pics that the top of the cod is about the same width as those pentagon shaped boxes. I know, it's goofy wide but hey - that's what was in the movie. :)

scout-front-chronicles-adj.jpg

rotj_bluray-00002.png

This was suggestetd before and while I still say it is not necessary to stop camel toeing it's fine if it works for those who do it.

Disadvantage even using flexible plastic - it won't bent anymore the way like in the one shoot of the scout on the bike (try to find it later).

*edit

download the follwoing caps:

http://www.madphisto.net/093.jpg

http://www.madphisto.net/094.jpg

http://www.madphisto.net/095.jpg

Same result, no plastic, just tailored to fit:

http://www.madphisto.net/scoutevents/2013_04_27_endor-shooting_01.jpg

Edited by TB-7076
added screenshots

Looks good, smart fix with the foam. I think overall it looks nice, but I think if you want to go for Lancer in the future, the overall width of the cod might look better if it was a little wider. You can see on the ILM pics that the top of the cod is about the same width as those pentagon shaped boxes. I know, it's goofy wide but hey - that's what was in the movie. :)

rotj_bluray-00002.png

Totally agree and love the way you fixed this issue. It can get out of control! :) But, (and im sure you know) the image above has some problems too. Check out the boot holster...here's the backside shots.

scout-back-leftside-chronicles.jpg

This was suggestetd before and while I still say it is not necessary to stop camel toeing it's fine if it works for those who do it.

Disadvantage even using flexible plastic - it won't bent anymore the way like in the one shoot of the scout on the bike (try to find it later).

*edit

download the follwoing caps:

http://www.madphisto.net/093.jpg

http://www.madphisto.net/094.jpg

http://www.madphisto.net/095.jpg

Same result, no plastic, just tailored to fit:

http://www.madphisto...shooting_01.jpg

I agree, which is why I used foam that is very flexible rather than trying to affix plastic to the inside. It will bend just like that, but without crumpling up in the middle.

Interesting solution. I just wear a cup/jockstrap and that drastically reduces any 'toe.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
whats with the straps for the holster on the pictures?

This is the protoype costume. They changed that detail before the final design made it to film.

This is also (presumably) the pic Kenner was given to make an action figure.

• 7 months later...
10154936_10201839324173799_6174216828293840997_n.jpgAnother solution is not to make the cod piece a "diaper" but a cod piece, not as long where the elastic goes through the legs and crotch and the triangular section sits just above the crotch. It is not necessary for it to go between the legs, only the elastic to reach to the codpiece.
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

In both of these pics it looks like the cod piece is a part of the belt rather than one with the torso and pouches. Is this a possibility or did someone already look into this?

rotj_bluray-00002.png

We have known about it for a while, but there is little in terms of definitive evidence to suggest one way or the other.

In that picture it does appear as though the crotch part is indeed separate, with a clear gap between the crotch bit and the bund, and then in the next one, there's not.

So the actual attachment system is unclear.

What is fair to say is that when you are wearing your costume, the standard calls for no visible gap between these items, and the bund not to poke out beyond the limits of the belt.

In terms of construction and wearability, it does make more sense to have the bund and crotch section as a one piece unit though.

• Like 2

We have known about it for a while, but there is little in terms of definitive evidence to suggest one way or the other.

In that picture it does appear as though the crotch part is indeed separate, with a clear gap between the crotch bit and the bund, and then in the next one, there's not.

So the actual attachment system is unclear.

What is fair to say is that when you are wearing your costume, the standard calls for no visible gap between these items, and the bund not to poke out beyond the limits of the belt.

In terms of construction and wearability, it does make more sense to have the bund and crotch section as a one piece unit though.

There's no obvious separation like in the top picture, but it looks like the cod piece in the bottom pic is separate and is going under the torso part rather than attached to it. It also looks like the cod could be a different type of material -- like satin or something like that. The way it bends and kind of has a shine to it.

I agree that a single piece makes a lot more sense. It's just interesting from a design perspective. I wonder if the costuming book coming out this year might clear up some of this.

It also looks like the cod could be a different type of material -- like satin or something like that

It's funny you should say that, because we've had this debate.

I think the whole bund is made out of a different material to cotton. Maybe a polyester or nylon. The reasons I say this are twofold. If you look, they have that sheen which you rightly point out, but also the weathering... It sits on the fabric, rather than bleeding in as you get on a cotton style material.

And the difference in material would certainly account for the apparent difference in colour between the bund and pouches. They're both white, but the textural difference throws the light.

Here's a quick one I knocked up a while back to test the theory.

IMG_0911.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting! How does that feel to wear?

Oh that's good. I thought the material might make the wearer feel hotter. I was thinking about making one myself.