The Ultimate Armor Comparison Thread!

Hey y'all! Since I've been sitting home sick this Memorial Day weekend, I decided to throw together some comparison pics of the various armors versus the Scout in the Costumes book to see how they measure up.

I tried to get Lancer app photos where I could, so it would be the best representation of the armor, and only used pics where the armor was one maker from head to toe. If anyone has a better representation photo, I am happy to use it. I will also do back photos when I get one for each

So here we go, in alphabetical order:

Altmann (Spike - Australia)

Altmann%20vs%20ROTJ.jpg

Chef (U.K.)

Chef%20vs%20ROTJ.jpg

Gino's (not for sale)

Gino%20vs%20ROTJ.jpg

Kropserkel (KS) (Canada) (the dropboxes were modified to be shorter than they are out of the box)

KS%20vs%20ROTJ.jpg

Moncal (MC) (USA)

MC%20vs%20ROTJ.jpg

RS Props (UK)

RS%20Props%20vs%20ROTJ.jpg

RWA Creations

RWA%20vs%20ROTJ.jpg

Studio Creations (old version) (SC) (USA)

SC%20vs%20ROTJ.jpg

Studio Creations ver. 2 Armor (SC) (USA)

SCv2%20vs%20ROTJ.png

CFO/Strider (Germany)

StriderCFO%20vs%20ROTJ.jpg

Walt's Trooper Factory (WTF) (USA)

WTF%20vs%20ROTJ.jpg

• Like 25

Love it. This is a great resource.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great job, Mickey - this is going to be very helpful for people having to decide on a specific set of armor. You may want to add Spike's armor to that list as well if you can find a reference.

Cheers

• Like 3

Great job, Mickey - this is going to be very helpful for people having to decide on a specific set of armor. You may want to add Spike's armor to that list as well if you can find a reference.

Cheers

I just need a pic of the front and back and I will be happy to!

• Like 1

Is the comparison image reversed? The holster is on the left boot.

The placement of the gray rectangle should have answered that question for you ;)

That's the scout from the Costumes book. For some reason his holster is on the wrong boot. Judging by the holes in the right boot where a holster used to be, it probably fell out and was moved to the other side for display

• Like 1

Looks like a completely mirrored mold. Otherwise when placed on the other boot we would we would be looking at the back of the holster/blaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a completely mirrored mold. Otherwise when placed on the other boot we would we would be looking at the back of the holster/blaster.

Sorry! I didn't mean to imply it was the same holster, just that the right boot had a holster at one time because you can see the holes. We have no idea why this was done or why they chose to display this Scout costume when they have others that presumably have the holster still on the right.

• Like 1

awesome job mickey! love the MC!!!!

Yeah this project has made me really give the MC a second look!

The placement of the gray rectangle should have answered that question for you ;)

That's the scout from the Costumes book. For some reason his holster is on the wrong boot. Judging by the holes in the right boot where a holster used to be, it probably fell out and was moved to the other side for display

One can never know with how inconsistent they were in '83 with this particular set of armor. George is a pretty fussy guy when it comes to how his actors look on screen so it strikes me funny that there are so many different interpretations. Much like the FISD we almost have a type of "stunt" and "hero" Scouts. It's fascinating to read about how Nilo, Pete Ronzini, Ira Keeler, Aggie Rodgers and the others created this wonderful suit of armor we love.

• Like 2

A lot of the differences are due to the punishment these suits took during shooting. The Scout was designed for stunts and they reportedly broke things on set all the time.

Also, for some of the very stunt-intensive scenes, a rubber version of the armor was made. It's most prominent in the scene where Han Solo sneaks up on the biker scout and then flips him over. The proportions of that armor are slightly off from other armor seen in the movie.

This really makes me want a chest from strider, the dimensions are pretty spot on

It's a real beauty! But some of the other armors are pretty close.

And some are WAAAAAYYYYY off

I love MC however the chest is the killer for me. In the morning the old grumpy mail lady should be delivering my new armour :)

That newer chest looks pretty good though!

But yeah, I know what you are getting and I want one too!

• Like 1

The overall chest design isn't that bad. It's the chest straps. There made to over lap one another however the abs is thick and you can't get a good look without a gap beteween the your chest and armour. The chest straps are crazy long.

• Like 1

The overall chest design isn't that bad. It's the chest straps. There made to over lap one another however the abs is thick and you can't get a good look without a gap beteween the your chest and armour. The chest straps are crazy long.

Yup. Definitely a problem. Their stuff is known to turn yellow and brittle too

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

To be fair, I'm sure they did that intentionally so the armor can be fitted to different statures. With most armors you need to adjust the chest/back straps to fit perfectly.

• Like 3