Ultimate Helmet Comparison Thread!

Seeing as this question keeps coming up...

I thought I'd start something.

So, the aim of this thread is to gather all the information about various lids out there, seeing as it is unlikely there is one person who owns ALL the buckets in existence.

What I require from you the members is to take a few measurements and/or pictures of your buckets and post them up in here for comparison.

Please try to keep to the same set of measurements.

I've measured the following. (all in cm).

Please keep to the format.

Bucket Make, Material, Version (if applicable).

1: Opening Width (across the main bucket opening, as this seems to be the narrowest part and causes issues getting your noodle in)

2: Opening Length (from snout to back)

3: External Height

4: External Length

5: External Width

Please don't spam the thread with various posts of 'great thread' or 'lovely bucket' because they don't really help and just clutter the place up.

Without further ado....

my Bucket. (please be advised, due to camera perspective, some of the measurements look funny on the pictures, but be assured, they are as per the specs I have put in)

Chef HIPS Plastic V1

Opening Width = 16.5cm

file-70.jpg

Opening Length = 22cm

file-71.jpg

External Height = 22cm

V.2 is now 23.7cm

file-72.jpg

External Length = 28cm

file-73.jpg

External Width = 22cm

file-74.jpg

I'm a 57cm head and it goes in quite comfortably.

Cheers all.

Some more from Chris (Negative Eleven), many thanks for your input. This will prove invaluable for everyone on BSN.

1st up, Kropserkel Lid.

KS00.jpg

KS01.jpg

KS02.jpg

KS03.jpg

KS04.jpg

KS05.jpg

Next up a "Rubies". This is in it's original state and badly deformed, as they are all when they arrive. So these sizes can be taken with a pinch of salt. Rubies lids as you can see need a LOT of work to get clearable. But they can be made to be very very good.

RUB01.jpg

RUB02.jpg

RUB03.jpg

RUB04.jpg

RUB05.jpg

RUB06.jpg

Lastly, the Star Fortress.. Not a very popular lid and to be honest, best avoided for a number of reasons.

SF01.jpg

SF02.jpg

SF03.jpg

SF04.jpg

And an SC Bucket from Heidi.

http://forum.bikersc...lery&image=2305

http://forum.bikersc...lery&image=2306

http://forum.bikersc...lery&image=2306

Griff, it won't let me picturise these, can you do the honours for me?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Cucblack's fiberglass helmet:

opening width 18.5cm as in photos (12.5cm at the narrowest point of the cheeks)

front to back opening 21 cm

external height 23cm

external length 26.5cm

external width 25.5cm

my 60cm head just barely squeezes through the opening, but plenty of space once inside.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Probably not the best comparison, especially since the KS is black lol..but it gives you a decent idea size wise.

LW, DP/Rubies, KS

IMG_9072_zpserompyxq.jpg

From the side the LW and DP/Rubies look almost exactly the same size, but the LW is def larger by a little bit.

IMG_9074_zpsycysqn1c.jpg

The KS and the DP/Rubies is about the same size, they are so similar i wouldnt be surprised if the KS was based off of the DP/Rubies.

IMG_9075_zpsncqbbyut.jpg

the LW is a bit larger than the DP/Rubies

IMG_9076_zpsxin702q8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Of these 3 id say yes.

I have a 23" head and i can just slip the LW on without opening the faceplate..the other 2 i need to open them to get my head in. The LW is more roomy, could probably accommodate up to a 25" head, but the others are comfy and not tight once i get my head in them, so you could probably fit a 24" head in them.

The LW is a little hard to come by though, but not impossible. :)

• Like 1

i was going to post it there, but wasnt sure if you wanted me to clutter it up with my half fast comparison lol. I can do measurements as well if LW doesnt mind that info posted, i'll have to ask him.

• Like 1

Just to give you all an idea.....

L-R:

MLC, KS, SC

20150315_135344_zpsl54v2nkr.jpg

20150315_135442_zpsdbvmhvtf.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

the lighting in my house sucks so I will try and take some with outdoor lighting this weekend ( as well as with a metric tape measure ). Although the numbers are close the Altmanns is def bigger on my head .. Here are some photos till I do them right . The SC is the white /padded one 58616504-ACFE-4FDE-BD0A-52CCF1A51E88.jpg1B4A7B50-24CE-4314-B7DC-79B3F067AD3B.jpg0714C0A1-ECE2-4E96-B116-3B2628673D6A.jpg59BD1388-B899-42A2-88D9-EF5663DDB0E2.jpg

7E052A91-55F9-4634-BD96-D50272F349B9.jpg

A862B6EC-FDEA-47BC-A16B-D3A5086763ED.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry about that Chef - I had seen your prior note and was just going to hold off till I got better pics done. I will try and add some clearer ones along with it on my head to show the differences

Thanks Griffin- mine is 205

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how old that Altmanns is that they used in the comparison shots to the Don Post but mine is much different. The one shown has visor fit issues as well as the bottom not sitting flush with the table when viewed from the rear- mine sits flush/flat and the visor by the side bolts is level with the rear piece

• Like 1

I also like how they gloss over the facts that on the Don Post Deluxe -

1: The fish hook emblem on the cheek is wrong.

2: There is no defined black outline around the snot area.

3: There is a black line across the plate on the snout plate.

4: The bolts on the visor are completely wrong - no where near the correct item.

But hey, the Don Post helmet is glossy... there's the win right there obviously. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Guest Forrest Patrol

Just to give you all an idea.....

L-R:

MLC, KS, SC

20150315_135344_zpsl54v2nkr.jpg

20150315_135442_zpsdbvmhvtf.jpg

The short squatted look of the SC reminds me of pit bulls. Also looks the least accurate of the three, just my opinion.

What I really like about the MCL is flush fit of the front part and ear section (where it lifts up, side view). My KS is a little off but not as bad as the one shown.

Guest Forrest Patrol

I also like how they gloss over the facts that on the Don Post Deluxe -

1: The fish hook emblem on the cheek is wrong.

2: There is no defined black outline around the snot area.

3: There is a black line across the plate on the snout plate.

4: The bolts on the visor are completely wrong - no where near the correct item.

But hey, the Don Post helmet is glossy... there's the win right there obviously. :rolleyes:

I'm going to buy a customised Don Post from Abe here

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=14036&pid=124721&st=0entry124721

Obviously its not supposed to be screen accurate and I'm trusting Abe won't sell me a low quality item as he's 501st and Stoker says the helmet is really good. Plus there are no bolt covers. Any advice or anything else that I should know? Please PM only so I don't ruin this topic any further. Thanks

(Sorry again Chef)

• 2 weeks later...

It appears to me that the biggest problem with the SC is the shape of the lens opening. If it were cut deeper slightly at the lowest point, and just a tad higher near the brow, then it could look quite a bit better. I am getting a pre-built SC bucket in a few days, and I might shave off just a tad more when I get it. The rest of the bucket looks similar to the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an example of modifying the SC lens cut to be more film-accurate... The SC bucket can be quite accurate if the lens area is slightly re-worked.

You can see that the top needs to be shaved about an eighth of an inch higher, and the "valleys" need to be a bit deeper and sharper. Also, the upper left and right corners need to be sharper. After my mod, it looks much more like the film props.

before the cut:

20150917_212034_zpszmzgnq1q.jpeg

...and after the cut:

20150924_210735_zpsfyzffjza.jpeg

• Like 5